[c-nsp] ASR920 vs ISR4000

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Wed Sep 23 09:24:29 EDT 2015

On 9/23/2015 2:24 AM, Tony via cisco-nsp wrote:

Both of those options are quite probably overkill for what you've described. If a 2811 is currently doing what you need in the deployment and the only change is an increase in speed, just go with the next step up. For what you've described a 2911 would easily fit what you want and I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than either ISR4000 or ARS920. Depends whether you want something new and shiny or something that will just get the job done. If you want to purchase a router now for some future upgrade, then you'd have to take a stab at what you think the upgrade might be and when you think it might happen and then purchase something that you think might be sufficient for that.

----

Actually price-wise the 4331s are very close in cost to a 2921, and for
most workloads, significantly higher performance.  Looking at Cisco's
last several generations of branch routers, the performance of the
next-gen model one step down is about the same as the previous
generation.  So a 2921->4331 for the same price, or a 4321 for the same
performance level and less money.

Unless you're buying on the used market or have a very specific need for
something only available in the ISR G2 platform, I'd be looking at the
ISR 4Ks as a replacement.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear the ISR G2s
get announced for EOL in the next 6-12 months looking at Cisco's
previous release cycles for branch routers.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com