[c-nsp] Optical amplification 1310nm

Tim Rayner Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 18:28:59 EDT 2016

Hi Peter,

The Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers - "SOA"s can be designed to work around 1310nm. The nice thing is they should amplify all 4 lanes of an LR4 together. An SOA on the Receive side can be the difference between an LR4 optical module and an ER4 optical module. The ER4s are rated for 40km, though I'd imagine 50km would be achievable if you have good fibre, not too many patches and clean connectors.

My ideal product - which I've yet to see packaged this way - would be an in-line connector SOA - much like an attenuator - It would have a micro-usb connector on the side to power it, and possibly return some power level measurements over the USB interface if connected to an intelligent host. But alas, I have yet to see such a product! - maybe I'm dreaming! The modules are not yet that small - you can get them packaged in a 1RU rack mount! eg.
https://www.oequest.com/getproduct/18126/cat/0/page/1

If the gear you're looking to extend the range on has CFP interfaces, I'd seriously look at ER4 or ZR modules which are just becoming available. There are also DWDM coherent CFPs which have an 80km range without amplification. For example:
https://www.flexoptix.net/en/produkte/transceiver/cfp-coherent-tunable-dwdm-zr-transceiver-100-gigabit-sm-c-band-80km-22db-ddm-dom.html
Even if your Cisco device doesn't support this type of Optic, Flexoptix can allow you to program it so that it looks like a module Cisco do support!  These types of modules should be readily available within 6 months.

I've seen product announcements for up to 80km range even in a QSFP28 package, but no product yet eg:
https://www.inphi.com/media-center/press-room/press-releases-and-media-alerts/inphi-debuts-100g-dwdm-solution-for-80km-data-center-interconnects.php
This may need a dispersion compensation solution which the coherent ones will not.

I'm expecting a lot more product options in this space within the next 12 months.  I'll be interested to hear what solution you choose!

Regards

Tim.

Tim Rayner
Optical Engineer, AARNet Pty Ltd
street address: Building 9, Banks Street, YARRALUMLA ACT 2600
postal address: GPO Box 1559, CANBERRA ACT 2601
t. +61 2 6222 3575 f. +61 2 6222 3535 e. Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
w. www.aarnet.edu.au
Network Faults (24x7): 1300 APL NOC (1300 275 662) or noc at aarnet.edu.au

important
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and the rights of confidentiality in such information are not waived or lost by its mistaken delivery to you. Any dissemination, copying, use or disclosure of the email and/or such files without the permission of AARNet, or the sender, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission.