[c-nsp] ASR9006/9010 Multihop BFD

Curtis Piehler cpiehler2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:34:18 EST 2016

Curious if anyone has encountered this before.

Running 5.1.3

Trying to establish BFD Multihop underlying BGP with a router on site.  I
have the Multipath parameters set for the appropriate line cards.  The far
side router indicates it is transmitting BFD packets but not receiving any.

The ASR9k BFD state under BGP stays "initializing" and doing a debug yields
"can not find multihop session".

If I do a show bfd multihop session it doesn't even show up as down.

The line card this is tied to is MOD-80SE with MPA-4X10GE and MPA-20X1GE.
I have however successfully established Multihop BFD + BGP on 2T20GE-B line
cards.

What's even more bizarre is that I have reproduced this in the lab and I
can establish multihop BFD + BGP tie to a MOD80-SE with MPA-20X1GE.

The ASR routers I can not establish this on is two different chassis in two
different markets so it isn't just focused on one device.