[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - sweet...got one in the lab

James Jun james at towardex.com
Tue Feb 2 00:11:35 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:12:12PM -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Kind of surprising.  Thinking of the Nexus world, all Ethernet interfaces
> are named "Ethernet....." regardless of speed.

Yea, that's one thing I really despise about Nexus. Seeing EthX/Y is really boring (must be a cheap data center port thing).

There's just something appealing about seeing spelled out interface names for different speeds, especially when they get more expensive (HundredGigE on ASR9K) :-o

> It seems like other
> vendors are moving in this direction as well, such as Juniper with 100G
> interfaces on MX platforms.

I don't particularly have issues with Juniper's "et-" naming, because it's only used for high-capacity links (25/40/50/100GE) so there's differenciation there.
It's pretty much given that most networks that rolling et- in the core is pretty much running 100GE.

BTW, can anybody confirm if NCS 5001 can do RSVP-TE (as a P router) well?  I'd presume it shouldn't have any issues with it, but the datasheet only lists LDP.
I'm thinking this could be a good replacement for QFX 5k to do lightweight LSR in the metro/dc access.

James