[c-nsp] CoPP on 7600s

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 11:36:24 EST 2016

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I have spoken with TAC over concerns that the "Software Counters" were
increasing in the output of "show policy-amp control-plane" however it
turns out they should be (this wasn't clear to me from the Cisco docs
so wanted to confirm). Since packets (such as BGP) are destined for
the CPU the software counter should increment.

We need to watch for things like the rate at which they are
increasing, if the violations on the hardware counters are increasing
etc. That the hardware counters increase at a similar rate to
software, so the packets are being matched in software.

My initial concern that simply "the software counters are
incrementing" is not actually a problem.

Cheers,
James.