[c-nsp] ASR1001 vs 1001-X PPP

Ian Goodall bbaa4570 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:48:40 EST 2016

We have a number of older 7206 routers used in a LNS role (PPP/L2TP).

As part of a network refresh we are looking to move towards the ASR1001 or
1001-X. The datasheet shows both support up to 5Gbps throughput and 8k subs.

Is anyone able to confirm if 8k subs on a ASR1001 realistic in the real
world, or should we be looking at the higher CPU on the X version?

Also on the throughput restriction is this in+out on all ports combined?
For example we have L2TP/PPP on one interface and upstream traffic on
another port. If we have 1Mbps of traffic coming in and then route out on
the L2TP/PPP interface is this counted as 1Mbps or 2Mbps?

Thanks in advance.

Ian