[c-nsp] Cisco pptp server

Pavel Dimow paveldimow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:27:27 EST 2016

Hi Arie,

no, that's not the case since I use local policy routing to force traffic
to go via correct provider and I can confirm that this works. Let me try to
be more precise.

My PPTP server has to uplinks, Gi1/1 with ISP 1 and ip address 1.1.1.1 and
Gi2/2 with ISP2 and ip address 2.2.2.2. It has a default route to ISP1 and
default route with higher metric to ISP2. I do have a correct local policy
routing to force all traffic generated by router with source 1.1.1.1 to
ISP1 next-hop and with source 2.2.2.2 to ISP2 next-hop.

My PPTP server has a local ip pool and it will assign a PPTP client an
address 3.3.3.3.

My PPTP client has public ip address from his ISP let't it be 9.9.9.9.

My PPTP client will successfully establish PPTP session when he use 1.1.1.1
as the address of PPTP server and everything works.

My PPTP client will successfully establish PPTP session when he use 2.2.2.2
as the address of PPTP server but it can't do anything (he can ping and
address on the PPTP server itself but it can't ping anything behind, and
from the PPTP server I can ping PPTP client). To be more precise, the
traffic from client will reach destination, and destination will reply and
that packet will reach the PPTP server but it will not forward traffic to
the client. When I add the static route on PPTP server to 9.9.9.9/32 and
next-hop to be 2.2.2.2 (ISP2) it will start working.

To me it looks like a bug  or this is not a valid setup what I am trying to
do but I could not find anyone with similar problem.