[c-nsp] lack of snmp parity with cli

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jan 7 06:13:14 EST 2016

Hello group,

I have a tool I developed in house which polls a cisco router
terminating PPPoE sessions in order to get a complete picture of each
active pppoe session. Most of what I want is available via snmp such as
user name, ip address, the user mac address, and such. However, PPPoE
Intermediate Agent tags - CircuitID and RemoteID - are apparently not
available anywhere in snmp. That information apparently only shows up
using the cli command "show pppoe session all", and so my tool polls
with snmp first, and then follows up with a text login to the router and
parses the cli output, finally stitching it all together at the end. Its
quite hairy.

This seems silly that there would be something important like these tags
that can only be seen from the cli and not from snmp. I've went thru
cisco's snmp object navigator quite a bit and I came up empty. I've also
spent lots of time doing some pretty deep walks of the snmp tree trying
to just pick out the right info but again it just doesn't seem to be
implemented. Im sort of resigned to the idea that, yeah, they just don't
make that available via snmp. Id just like some confirmation from others
that my situation here isn't actually unusual and parsing the output
from the cli for certain info is an accepted practice?

Mike-