[c-nsp] lack of snmp parity with cli

Nathan Ward cisco-nsp at daork.net
Thu Jan 7 07:24:18 EST 2016

Hi Mike,

Not the answer you’re looking for, but what sort of router? If it’s an ASR9k you can use the XML API to get better and faster data out of the router, without having to parse CLI output. It’s a very effective way to pull out this sort of data.

Also worth noting, Cisco Prime logs in to routers and runs a bunch of show commands rather than using SNMP. It needs all the data so it can model the routers on the server(s), and it can’t get what it needs from SNMP. I think if Cisco themselves aren’t using SNMP, we can presume that it’s limited.

They’re also not using the XML API either, but, trust me - it’s certainly better than using the CLI!

--
Nathan Ward