[c-nsp] A switch with huge number of Mac address

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Jan 8 14:17:06 EST 2016

Perhaps check out Arista.  If you’re willing to run two switches as a stack, the 7280 would work great for this.  256k MAC/ARP and 128k IPv6 neighbor cache with 48 SFP+, but depending on model, you have QSFP+/QSFP100/MXP ports that you can use to gain more 10gig ports, so potentially up to 72 10gig per switch.  Or just use the 48 built in and use the 40/100 ports to link two chassis.  They do multi-chassis trunk and vARP.  We’re close to deploying these to replace a Brocade setup for a Cisco UCS/vmware cluster because we needed a huge MAC/ARP/v6 ND table due to all the VM’s and would have had to spend 3x/4x to get into Nexus 7k to get the same table sizes.

Arista 7300 chassis would work too if you didn’t want to deal with the whole stacking issue.  With the right profile selected, it can do 288k MAC/ARP and 104k v6 ND.

David