[c-nsp] lack of snmp parity with cli

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 13 06:24:25 EST 2016

On 7 January 2016 at 13:13, Mike <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:

Hey Mike,

> This seems silly that there would be something important like these tags
> that can only be seen from the cli and not from snmp. I've went thru cisco's
> snmp object navigator quite a bit and I came up empty. I've also spent lots
> of time doing some pretty deep walks of the snmp tree trying to just pick
> out the right info but again it just doesn't seem to be implemented. Im sort
> of resigned to the idea that, yeah, they just don't make that available via
> snmp. Id just like some confirmation from others that my situation here
> isn't actually unusual and parsing the output from the cli for certain info
> is an accepted practice?

Couldn't agree more. There is deep decoupling in IOS and IOS-XR
between CLI, SNMP and Netconf, so you can't know without research if
particular data is available via particular method. Most comprehensive
is screen-scraping.

Alcatel TimOS has inherent coupling between CLI and SNMP, if something
is possible to get or set in CLI, it's possible to get or set in SNMP.
Juniper JunOS has inherent coupling between CLI and XML presentation.
I absolutely love doing in scripts SSH exec channel for 'cli-command |
display xml' and get something parseable out, without resorting to
fragile screen-scraping.

Insha'allah IOS-XR 9.0 will have tight coupling of YANG and CLI,
although whole world has already moved to machine learning and our
manager is perl7 script.

--
  ++ytti