[c-nsp] Trunked VLANs over FTTC VDSL2

Alistair C cisconsp at imf2000.org
Wed Jan 13 08:52:37 EST 2016

On 13 January 2016 at 11:02, Tarko Tikan <tarko at lanparty.ee> wrote:

> I'm actually testing this as we speak. Not with BT but it doesn't really
> matter.
>
> See below for the config that should theoretically work, in reality it
> does not. The packets are correctly double tagged in LAN>VDSL direction but
> in VDSL>LAN direction packets are lost after they reach Vlan100 interface
> (by looking at packet counters). This is probably because Vlan100 interface
> is not really expecting packets with dot1Q ethertype.
>
> I haven't opened the case with Cisco yet but I don't have high hopes.
> Having dot1q-tunnel on this platform is most likely mistake.
>
> Do you know any other devices/vendors that could theoretically do this? I
> only know about RAD ETX-2i at this point.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

For my purposes I need to terminate the VLANs on the Cisco CPE, rather than
pass through, as such I have not looked at alternative equipment, other
than devices that can potentially serve as FTTC VDSL2 Modems, to sit in
front of a Cisco CPE.

It is disappointing that Cisco do not seem to have implemented q-in-q
support on the Ethernet0 interface, on the 887 or 897.

--
Alistair C.