[c-nsp] ASR920 "console" port....ugh

CiscoNSP List CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 02:46:39 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

I see the ASR920 doesnt have the "traditional" console port, but uses USB....then you have to install special driver on your Lappy/whatever that turns the USB into a "console" port (So you can access it via putty etc.)

While painful(But works), my other issue is with how to solve remote DC's/OOB....i.e. we currently use Opengears and still a couple of old 2500's with the RJ45 ports for the console connections......question is, has anyone successfully used a USB->console/RJ45 connector on these devices? (So I would still be USB cable from ASR920 -> converter(USB->RJ45?), then rollover cable from adapter to Opengear console ports?

Begs the other question...why have Cisco decided to cease using the traditional console ports? purely to frustrate users of there equipment? lol

Cheers.