[c-nsp] ASR920 "console" port....ugh

Nathan Ward cisco-nsp at daork.net
Sat Jan 16 02:50:49 EST 2016

> On 16/01/2016, at 20:46, CiscoNSP List <CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>

> I see the ASR920 doesnt have the "traditional" console port, but uses USB....then you have to install special driver on your Lappy/whatever that turns the USB into a "console" port (So you can access it via putty etc.)
>

> While painful(But works), my other issue is with how to solve remote DC's/OOB....i.e. we currently use Opengears and still a couple of old 2500's with the RJ45 ports for the console connections......question is, has anyone successfully used a USB->console/RJ45 connector on these devices? (So I would still be USB cable from ASR920 -> converter(USB->RJ45?), then rollover cable from adapter to Opengear console ports?
>

> Begs the other question...why have Cisco decided to cease using the traditional console ports? purely to frustrate users of there equipment? lol

Hi, there is both a USB signalled console port, and an RS232 console. The RS232 console uses a USB style connector, which is very, very poor. Cisco sell a cable that gives you an RJ45 RS232, it’s just wires, no active components in there.

I’m not sure I’ve got one handy, but when I do, I can reverse engineer the cable for you so you can get the pinout if you like - but I don’t imagine it’d be hard to figure out if you’ve got a multimeter, USB connectors only have 4 pins.

Also, have you got ASR920 rack mount ears? Ever notice that they’re taller than 1RU because of the folded bits? It’s a pretty bad product from a physical design POV.

--
Nathan Ward