[c-nsp] Strange bug - me36500x - ip address on gig interface

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Jul 12 02:12:35 EDT 2016

Hi,

     I have a damm weird one.

     I have an me3600x, and gi0/7 is a fiber port. I have configured it
thusly:

     interface GigabitEthernet0/7
     no switchport
     ip address 10.0.16.129 255.255.255.248
     speed nonegotiate

     Another device (an asr920) on the other end of that fiber with the
address 10.0.16.130, cannot ping it. However, the asr920 does see cdp
announcements from the me3600x. The me3600x does not see cdp itself,
however.

     If I put static mac address entries in both devices, then I can
ping and play and do everything. But remove the static entires and
nothing works again, just one way cdp.

     Interestingly enough, if I instead create a vlan interface and put
this interface into that vlan, it works:

interface GigabitEthernet0/7
  switchport access vlan 500
  speed nonegotiate

interface Vlan500
  ip address 10.0.16.129 255.255.255.248

     Why does it have to exist in an SVI in order to work? And even
worse - I have tengig interfaces on this box which I can apply ip
addresses to directly as above and they work as expected.

What gives?

Mike-