[c-nsp] Router 6504E - SUP 720 3B XL

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Fri Jul 15 15:57:17 EDT 2016

Hi,

sorry, but 88% used does not mean you really have 12% you can use.
3 years ago we were at similar situation, one of our 3BXL had 92 or 93%
usage and restarted the bgp process because it was unable to allocate more
memory.
We thought to have a few more months and waited to long to replace it.
So 88% mean "disable one session" and not "add another one".

If you want to use 6500/7600, go for the Sup2T (XL was around 9k Euro -
before Brexit) + 4Gig memory.
You can still built a up to 80GBit throughput box with a great router port
amount per money if you use 6700 linecards with CFC (WS-X6748-GE-TX below
200Euro, WS-X6704-10GE below 500Euro) and can live with the risk that 1M
routes could become an issue in a few years.

kind regards
Rolf