[c-nsp] QinQ on NS-OX/Nexus

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 04:50:08 EDT 2016

On 9 June 2016 at 09:11, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Which Nexus? They very wildly in their capabilities.
>
> It's entirely possible you can't do what you want on that platform. I'm not
> sure Q-in-Q termination is supported. It requires more of the equipment than
> Q-in-Q encapsulation.
>
> Newer platforms use the "service instance" stuff for this, and IIRC the
> older ones were sub-int based w/ "encap dot1q 100 second-tag 200" but
> neither are present on our N7k w/ M1 linecards on NX-OS 6.2

Sorry that was rather vague of me. The live system has N7K-SUP2E's
running NX-OS 6.2(10) and the line cards are N7K-F248XP-25E and
N7K-M148GT-11L. I wasn't expecting this to work on the F2 cards but I
was hoping it would work on the M1 cards (although if it has to be the
F2 cards that's better than no QinQ). I was expecting the
"encapsulation dot1q X second-dot1q Y" to work.

You say it's not in 6.2 on your M1 cards, the firmware can be upgraded
on the live box if required, however do you know if it is actually
supported on these line cards in a later version? I'd like to know if
QinQ is even possible on this hardware, if not we'll have to loop
through another device to pop the tags (yukky!).

Cheers,
James.