[c-nsp] 6500/7600 TCAM Usage

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 11:40:55 EDT 2016

The TCAM on Sup2t isn't the same as Sup720. The Sup2t stores routes as a
data structure in a memory pool, which means that it isn't a fixed number
of route entries, but is based more on the prefix distribution and how
routes are added/deleted. I don't remember the specifics but it is possible
to run out of space before hitting datasheet numbers if you're really
unlucky.

This is in contrast to Sup720 where there is a single fixed bank for each
entry. 512k banks = 512k routes. Never any less.

As you start getting close to the ceiling on Sup2t the risk of suddenly
going over is much more real than it would be on Sup720.