[c-nsp] VPLS capable devices for two sites interconnect

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 04:38:37 EST 2016

> Robert Hass
> Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2016 10:00 PM
>
> Hi
> I'm looking for Cisco devices suitable for do interconnect of two sites. I also
> need redundancy at each site - so two clusters of two devices are required -
> mLACP capable for CE side. I cannot use regular L2 PortChannels as we're
> looking for pure => L3 solution.
>
> I know that ASR9001 will do the job. But I'm looking for something cheaper.
> What you can recommend ? I need total 4 x 10GE interfaces and two
> redundant AC power supplies.
>
> Maybe choice of VPLS is bad choice and I should look at VXLAN or OTV ? But
> what benefits will these technologies give me above VPLS ?

Hi Robert,

If it's pure L3 solution you don't really need VPLS nor mLACP.
You just need two separate links extended via PWs to other site and L3 load-sharing.
So ASR920 will do.

The mLACP feature is not available on cheap Cisco devices (ASR920)
And Cisco supports only active/passive mLACP last time I looked.
With load-sharing if one of the links/PWs fails, then only half of the traffic will be affected.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.