[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - MPLS L3VPN Issue

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 04:02:21 EST 2016

> James Bensley
> Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 10:05 PM
>
> On 5 March 2016 at 22:25, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> > If you can rewrite the function run-time, then you can force linear
> > progression so if you want given fix on function Z, you also must walk
> > all the earlier changes in order until you're at that fix.
>
> Naturally.
>
> Going back to my waffle about erasing and re-installing routers, the order of
> operations in relation to patching becomes important. Unless you follow a
> linear code tree, forking off with different patches that can be installed
> independently of each other in no particular order, is asking for trouble.
>
> I have just today bottomed out another IOS-XR bug with the help of TAC and
> a BGP developer from China. An ASR9001 running BGP PIC and was originally
> 4.3.4 default which eventually received some custom SMUs to fix a bug when
> a line card was added, and then later patched up to
> SP10 to fix further issues had the CPU stuck between 50-60%, 24x7.
>
> A BGP SMU for a BGP DDTS fixing multiple BGP bugs which was applied to the
> router when one installs any 4.3.4 service pack from SP3 through to SP10
> included a bug-fix for BGP PIC, but this introduced a bug for us. PIC processes
> a best-external update indefinitely. The issue persists almost immediately
> after restarting the BPG process (as soon as an update comes through for a
> backup-path, which with the full Internet table takes no time at all basically)
> and immediately post reboot (for the same reason).

Well this sounds like a perfect example of a regression bug, when fix of one thing introduces another bug,
That's why I like to cherry pick SMUs related only to what I truly need to fix.
If the SP has a fix for e.g. BGP EVPN and I'm not using EVPN, then I'd rather omit that -because it can introduce bug in something that I actually do care about.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.