[c-nsp] DWDM Passive or Active Multiplexing

Josh Karki joshuskarki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:16:17 EST 2016

We are working with Cisco to replace our passive CWDM with DWDM ring
network. The goal here is to upgrade 1G CWDM with 10G. The current CWDM
ring with use of all (8) wavelengths within 30kms is working just fine.
It's a passive solutions and I don's see any powering issues with it.

When we upgrade it to DWDM, the distance for max connection will still be
the same, max 30 kms, but we may add more sites or we go up to 12 channels
max.

I see the option of E-WDM, 8 more wavelengths on top of 8 existing CWDM'
but this is not what we are looking to move forward with.

Now my questions is, DWDM Passive vs Active. With such environment, can it
be possible to do Passive DWDM instead of of Active?

Thanks for your advice.

Josh