[c-nsp] DWDM Passive or Active Multiplexing

Tim Rayner Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
Tue Mar 8 14:41:01 EST 2016

Hi Josh,

We run lots of passive CWDM and DWDM as well as DWDM ROADMs.

If you're happy with passive in you current solution, I'd suggest staying passive.  We have passive 10G CWDM and DWDM solutions running well over 30km.

We have used the Cisco CWDM & EDWM solution - it is an easy way to get another 8 channels without impacting any of your existing ones (apart from the outage to all wavelenghts whilst you insert the EWDM muxes at each end).  There is also the Amplifier option for the 8 DWDM channels if you need an extra bit of range - though that little Amp module may be end-of-life from memory - perhaps no-one was needing it.

What we prefer to use these days is some small 4-channel DWDM muxes within the  1530 or 1550 bands of the CWDM channels.  These Cisco models can be cascaded to give 8 or 12 DWDM channels within the CWDM 1550 channel.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/optical-networking/ons-15200-series-dwdm-systems/data_sheet_c78-727050.html

It does mean that you need to free up your CWDM-1530 or CWDM-1550 channel before you can add more services, but we find these are much more flexiible setup than the CWDM/EWDM combination.  This is especially true since we have some CWDM Add/Drop muxes spliced into pits to connect tail circuits to a trunk.

Also, keep in mind that even though Cisco may not have good support for 10G optics in the 8 regular CWDM channels, other vendors do and give Cisco compatibility - for example:
 https://www.flexoptix.net/en/produkte/transceiver/10-gigabit-cwdm-sfp-transceiver-70km-sm-ddm-dom.html

Depending upon your migration strategy, you could leave your passive muxes unchanged and just make the switch to 10G CWDM optics.

I hope this helps

Regards

Tim.

Tim Rayner
Optical Engineer, AARNet Pty Ltd
street address: Building 9, Banks Street, YARRALUMLA  ACT  2600
postal address:  GPO Box 1559, CANBERRA   ACT   2601
t. +61 2 6222 3575     f. +61 2 6222 3535     e. Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
w. www.aarnet.edu.au
Network Faults (24x7): 1300 APL NOC (1300 275 662) or noc at aarnet.edu.au

important
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and the rights of confidentiality in such information are not waived or lost by its mistaken delivery to you.  Any dissemination, copying, use or disclosure of the email and/or such files without the permission of AARNet, or the sender, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission.