[c-nsp] ISR4451 or ASR920

James Jun james at towardex.com
Thu Mar 31 10:13:54 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 08:29:07AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> Pricing for the ASR920 is complicated due to hardware/software licenses
> and models, but base list price of the ISR4451 is about 3x the base list
> price of ASR920-12CZ.  So if ASR920 works for the requirements, it seems
> to be "the!" platform of choice.
>
> (Still waiting for someone to explain to me how control-plane protection
> works on ASR920... is it 6500-style CoPP, ASR9k-style LPTS, or "we have
> a fast CPU, we don't need this stuff!"-denial?)

ASR 920 CoPP is somewhat like auto-copp flavor, except there isn't much you can configure. I believe you can only restrict/rate-limit supported protocols:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/qos/qos-plcshp-xe-3-13s-asr920-book/qos-plcshp-xe-3-13s-asr920-book_chapter_011.html

Last I checked (note that this was few IOS XE versions ago; this may have been improved since then), we couldn't actually deny/filter tcp port 22 (applying service-policy to control-plane didn't work well), but the box did seem to be rate limiting TermForUs traffic.  I didn't look deeper though.

James