[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 1002-X PPPoE Subscriber QoS policies

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Mon May 16 11:15:00 EDT 2016

Hi,

> Hi folks,
>
> I have to setup a QoS policy to maximise the limited bandwidth on the
cross
> connects to our broadband backhaul provider.
>
> To date I have used per session policies but I am not sure that this
will account
> for the scenario where all subscriber sessions request more bandwidth
that the
> cross-connect is provisioned for.  So I need to ensure that in this
given scenario
> that the business critical application/service for each session are
guaranteed a
> min. amount of bandwidth while dropping all other non-essential traffic.
>
> I have read that without BRR the allocation of remaining bandwidth may
not be
> equally apportioned, but before that I need to ensure that the business
critical
> app gets it .min bandwidth.  That said is it a case of using a priority
queue to
> provide the necessary guarantee in the above scenario?

Why not do something like this

Create a shaper for all traffic

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0.10
       encapsulation dot1Q 10
       pppoe enable group PPPOEGROUP
       no snmp trap link-status
      service-policy output SVLAN_50M

policy-map SVLAN_50M
  class class-default
    shape average 50000000

and then your subscriber policy parent/child that you assign to the
sessions from radius setting the priority bandwidth

policy-map class Priority-child
  priority level 1
  police cir 128000 bc 6000 pir 256000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop  violate-action drop
class class-default
!
policy-map CVLAN_1M -parent
  class class-default
    bandwidth remaining ratio 1
        shape average 1000000
    service policy Priority-child

The ASR will provide the priority bandwidth before  dividing the remaining
bandwidth equally between the sessions.

HTH

Brian