[c-nsp] ASR9001 Vs ASR1006

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 17 15:05:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 03:01:41PM -0400, Satish Patel wrote:
> ASR9001 doesn't have hardware redundancy then why people going to buy it?

Because it is fast, reasonably cheap, does not each much electricity,
and you can just put a second one next to it?

Hardware redundancy is totaly overvalued - our 6500s could all run
dual-SUPs, and except for the layer2 things, *none* have dual-SUPs -
because for a L3 scenario, just putting a second box next to it, running
a different IOS train (!) will give you much better resiliency than
"dual SUPs, same operating system, crashing together", or "dual SUPs,
something dies in a weird way blocking backplane traffic"...

Now, for a customer edge box, terminating 10.000s of customers, I can
see that you want dual-RSP and all that - plus reasonable reboot-free
software upgrades, so maybe not ASR9k either...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de