[c-nsp] ASR9001 Vs ASR1006

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed May 18 19:56:02 EDT 2016

> Gert Doering
> Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:05 PM
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 03:01:41PM -0400, Satish Patel wrote:
> > ASR9001 doesn't have hardware redundancy then why people going to buy
> it?
>
> Because it is fast, reasonably cheap, does not each much electricity, and you
> can just put a second one next to it?
>
> Hardware redundancy is totaly overvalued - our 6500s could all run dual-
> SUPs, and except for the layer2 things, *none* have dual-SUPs - because for
> a L3 scenario, just putting a second box next to it, running a different IOS
> train (!) will give you much better resiliency than "dual SUPs, same operating
> system, crashing together", or "dual SUPs, something dies in a weird way
> blocking backplane traffic"...
>
> Now, for a customer edge box, terminating 10.000s of customers, I can see
> that you want dual-RSP and all that - plus reasonable reboot-free software
> upgrades, so maybe not ASR9k either...

That's actually a good point.
From what I know 10K customers (VPN not subs) on a single box would be way too many eggs in one basket (doesn't matter the box is fully redundant).
So yeah it can so happen that you'd have big 10 slot chassis which is half empty cause business won't allow you to terminate more customers on a single box.
And also it's a question of RSP resources as well -like you might run out of BGP sessions before you'll run out of ports or LCs
So yeah I guess more of smaller boxes not necesarly 2RU non redundant but just not 10 or 22 slots might be the right way forward.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.