[c-nsp] asr9k dhcp relay + ipv4 verify unicast

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon May 23 10:36:16 EDT 2016

Hi,
today i had to debug an ASR9001 setup with DHCP Relay and an
ipv4 verify unicast source reachable-via rx allow-self-ping on
an BVI interface. The clients failed to get leases - I saw
DISCOVERS on the server side and the server sent out
OFFERS. I could not determine whether the OFFER fails
to reach the client or the REQUEST would not reach the server.

	[ ... ]

	dhcp ipv4
	 profile relayprofile relay
	  helper-address vrf default 10.7.8.9
	  giaddr policy replace
	 !
	 interface BVI108 relay profile relayprofile
	 interface BVI60004 relay profile relayprofile

	[ ... ]

	interface BVI60004
	 ipv4 address 10.4.5.1 255.255.255.0
	 ipv4 verify unicast source reachable-via rx allow-self-ping

Removing the ipv4 verify unicast ... solved the issue which
left me a little puzzled. My google foo turned up nothing
concerning incompatibilities ...

From my understanding the verify unicast is a pure input packet
validation. The whole DHCP handshake would not create packets
stemming from an invalid IP address on the L2 Bridge e.g.
the BVI interface so i have no clue where and why the packet
would be dropped.

Flo