[c-nsp] 6500/7600 TCAM Usage

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue May 31 18:08:33 EDT 2016

>From prior experience, using 100% and bad things happen.
As the device approaches a full tcam convergence will get much slower.
Additionally the table is not static so you can get bursts of routes associated with leaks.
Don't forget there are routes that are not in the BGP and OSPF tables that get inserted.
Connecteds, Statics, next hops and vlans and only cisco knows what else.  Most people
forget there is a route for every vlan even if no IPs are associated with it on the 6500 platform.

I usually use a margin of 10K above what "show ip route summary" is producing as a 'safety net'.
Once you get into that range, 'Bad things happen'.

'show mls cef summary' actually shows about 5K less on my devices but those routes are still in there.
So don't use that as what is actually getting inserted.

Mack McBride | Senior Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.