[c-nsp] Cisco ME1200 iCLI

Gregor Jeker gregor.jeker at dualstack.ch
Mon Nov 28 14:54:16 EST 2016

Hi Guys
We have also been working with a demo pair of those, intended as CPE for some E-Line like services. From my side, I have never seen that weird CLI everyone is talking about, I just started with the console and had a very IOS-like CLI. I got the devices from the demo pool, so maybe someone before hit some magic command, or maybe it depends on the set of credentials or the firmware? I used admin/sandino, the software in use is:

ME1200-1# sh ver
[...]
Active Image
------------
Image            : me1200-universal-mz.156-2.SN.dat (primary)
Version          : ME1200 OS Software Build 15.4-3.SN

ME1200-1# show inventory
NAME: "ME1200", DESCR: "Network Interface Device"
PID: ME1200-4S-A , VID: V01 , SN: RTC1XXXXXXXX

Just to give you some examples of what I am seeing with this device:

ME1200-1# sh run int gig 1/1
Building configuration...
interface GigabitEthernet 1/1
 switchport hybrid native vlan 100
 switchport hybrid egress-tag none
 switchport hybrid port-type unaware
 switchport mode hybrid
 no lldp receive
 no lldp transmit
 no mac address-table learning
 no spanning-tree
 evc l2cp forward 0-15

ME1200-1# sh run int gig 1/6
Building configuration...
interface GigabitEthernet 1/6
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,120
 switchport mode trunk

ME1200-1# show int GigabitEthernet 1/1 status
Interface               Mode     Speed & Duplex  Flow Control  Max Frame  Excessive  Link
----------------------  -------  --------------  ------------  ---------  ---------  --------
GigabitEthernet 1/1     enabled  Auto            disabled      10240      Discard    1Gfdx

ME1200-1# show int GigabitEthernet 1/1 ?
    *                  All switches or All ports
    GigabitEthernet    1 Gigabit Ethernet Port
    capabilities       Display capabilities.
    statistics         Display statistics counters.
    status             Display status.
    switchport         Show interface switchport information
    transceiver        Show interface transceiver
    veriphy            Run cable diagnostics and show result.

ME1200-1# show int GigabitEthernet 1/1 switchport
Name: GigabitEthernet 1/1
Administrative mode: hybrid
Access Mode VLAN: 1
Trunk Native Mode VLAN: 1
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: disabled
Allowed VLANs: 1-4095
Hybrid port configuration
-------------------------
Port Type: Unaware
Acceptable Frame Type: All
Ingress filter: Disabled
Egress tagging: None
Hybrid Native Mode VLAN: 100
Hybrid VLANs Enabled: 1-4095

 That’s an example for "switchport mode dot1q-tunnel"-like behavior. It is also quite nice in regards of l2cp forwarding, it is even capable of forwarding EAPOL and similar frames.
 Some commands and especially the show outputs are a little different than traditional IOS. However, no problems getting things up&running.

> Don't know why Cisco thought it was a good idea to make the ME1200 completely different from the rest of the ME3400,3600,3800 lines [...]
I don’t think that was their intention, I guess they just bought some company and it takes time to adapt...

 Cheers,
 Gregor