[c-nsp] Using MPLS PEs as gateways for access layer

Ryan L ryan.nsplist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:14:13 EST 2016

Hey all,

Apologies if this is a muppet question, but still getting my bearings with
MPLS. Most L3VPN designs I've checked out don't really address this
specific design...

I've got a multi-tenant network that would either be done w/VRF-lite or
L3VPN, but I don't have a CE router, per se.

Is it somewhat accepted design to run L3VPN in a scenario where the PEs in
DC1 are vrrp active/standby for DC1 VLANs in all VRFs, and the PEs in DC2
are active/standby for DC2 VLANs in all VRFs, and so on? From each PE,
there'd be a layer 2 path to the edge hosts within those sites, and we're
talking pure routing here, no state tracking devices, etc. PEs would be
meshed iBGP either full or w/RRs.

Not sure if there are some limitations/major issues I'm overlooking here,
but seems much cleaner than trying to stitch vrf-lite everywhere.

Thank you.