[c-nsp] Using MPLS PEs as gateways for access layer

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Wed Nov 30 01:08:54 EST 2016

Hi Ryan,

I did some work for a customer a few years back doing something very similar.

Campus network, 2x 6500s as P routers, 12x 6500s running as PEs, each
connected to both Ps. Access switches then connected directly to the
PEs. The SVIs were hosted on the 6500 PEs. We use VSS for DCs where we
had dual 6500s rather than running HSRP/VRRP.

Worked really well, and was very simple to debug and configure. The
only concern is that spanning tree issues would propagate to the 6500
PEs, however thankfully, they seemed to have enough CPU/ protection to
not have a problem with this.

I have since worked on another campus network, where the buildings had
dual CEs installed. Access switches were directly connected to the
CEs, and HSRP/VRRP was used to failover the access switches between
the CEs. The CEs had multiple VLANs to the PEs, one for each
VRF/VRFLite (and a BGP session for each VRF/Lite on each VLAN). This
also worked, but was a lot more difficult to debug and maintain.
Adding a new VRF involved a lot of changes on a lot of devices.

In both cases I would recommend using scripts to configure your
devices to ensure consistency, however in the first option you could
possibly get away without. The second method, using CEs, will be very
very error prone without automatic configuration.

-- Andrew