7609 local vlan significance

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 01:35:46 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I have a 7609 with 15.2(4) software on it and both ES+ & WS-X6516 cards in it.

Historically (prior to ES+ cards) to get traffic between VRF's we had a cable from the 6516 card to another box right beside the 7609 and we ran a VLAN across this cable with one end in the first VRF and the other end in the second VRF. This was fine because the other box was doing some things and so it needed to be there. The usefulness of this other box has now expired and so we desire to do the same thing (cross-vrf connection) all within the 7609 so the other box can be retired.

I'm aware of the issues of local VLAN significance and so we're going to use the ES20+ ports and just run a cable between two of the ports (gig4/14 & 4/15), as they support local VLAN significance. I did this, configured a dot1q interface on either end in either VRF, then tested it, but it didn't work, I couldn't ping across it.

EG:

interface GigabitEthernet4/14.666
encapsulation dot1Q 666
ip vrf forwarding vrf1
ip address 10.1.99.101 255.255.255.252
!
interface GigabitEthernet4/15.666
encapsulation dot1Q 666
ip vrf forwarding vrf2
ip address 10.1.99.102 255.255.255.252

7609#ping vrf vrf1 10.1.99.101
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.99.101, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

7609#ping vrf vrf1 10.1.99.102
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.99.102, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Hmmm, not working....

Both ports are up and CDP says they are connected to each other. I also tried using service instances instead of a dot1q sub-interface, but the result was the same.

Next I tried a cable from an ES20 port (gig3/14) to a port on the 6516 card (gig7/12), just in case for some reason the ES20 card didn't like the cable between it's two ports.

interface GigabitEthernet3/14.666
encapsulation dot1Q 666
ip vrf forwarding vrf1
ip address 10.1.99.101 255.255.255.252

interface GigabitEthernet7/12
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 666
switchport mode trunk

interface vlan 666
ip vrf forwarding vrf2
ip address 10.1.99.102 255.255.255.252
no shutdown

Same outcome as before local interface responds to pings the one on the other end does not.

Should this be working ? What am I doing wrong ? It seems like I'm missing something fairly basic ??

Many Thanks,
Tony.