[c-nsp] 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper Transceiver

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.com
Fri Sep 23 13:32:19 EDT 2016

These don't seem to be on any official cisco supported list.

I have quite a large need to for this, in between a transition from traditional 3 tier 1 gig/10gig(SFP) world to 10gig(copper)40 gig Leaf/Spine world.

I ideally want to connect my ten gig SFP+ ports with copper SFP+ transceivers (NOT twinax)  - to my ten gig copper switches (9k's)

4 x 10 Breakout support is limited to the 9332 switches and the chassis, and I didn't want to burn 40 gig uplinks on the 10 gig copper switches, by running them at a single 10gig speed for SPF+

These ten gig copper SFP+ transceivers do exist - has anyone used them - will cisco support them?  I understand that they have very limited distance due to the power limitations.

Any field experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

ProLabs 10G Copper SFP+ features:

    10G copper modules allow 10G bandwidth over existing infrastructure
    Simplified purchase of copper SFP+ as opposed to new switch
    Supports links up to 30m using Category 6A/7 cabling
    RJ45 connector
    Compatible with a range of OEM's including Cisco, Arista, Brocade, Juniper, Dell and others

Nick