[c-nsp] Broadband Aggregation/Termination

CBL alandaluz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 19:23:00 EDT 2017

Hi guys,

What are you doing for (ethernet) Broadband Aggregation and Termination?
PPPoE, DHCP, Other?

We've been doing PPPoE on some ASR1k's for years. Sure, it's fine, but
customers with new routers have to be setup for PPPoE credentials where
DHCP would work out of the box, and they never remember them requiring a
call.

We've been looking at DHCP, perhaps using Cisco's ISG. Does anybody run ISG
now?
How does it work with IPv6?    If you're not using ISG, what do you do to
rate-limit customers and track usage?

If you are using DHCP, how are you aggregating X number of VLANs, each with
different subscriber counts so you don't have to have a matching X number
of different sized DHCP pools to match your VLAN sub interfaces?  I love
how I can just throw another /24 or two at a "nearing capacity" PPPoE pool
on our ASR1k's and problem solved for a while.

I'd love to pick the brains of this community to see how you're doing your
customer termination, and what I'm doing wrong or could be doing better.

Thanks,

Cassidy