[c-nsp] Broadband Aggregation/Termination

Shawn L shawn at rmrf.us
Wed Apr 19 08:55:54 EDT 2017

We do "standard" DHCP, (no ppoe) on mostly DSL and fiber to the home subs.

 For older dslams that do ATM only we have cisco 7200 routers with ATM
interfaces that do the ATM to IP conversion (cheap, plenty of horsepower
for the task).

On the newer stuff that can take IP in directly we use cisco 3600 series
switches (we route to them for smaller sites), bring the traffic in on a
vlan with a DHCP Helper address configured.  That way we can have a couple
of DHCP serviers in our core that handle the requests from everywhere
instead of a DHCP server @ each site.

You can also use the router / switch as a DHCP server (which we've done at
small sites).  Also tried having centralized DHCP servers listening on
multiple vlans which works, but then you need to trunk all traffic back to
the core.  Not really idea.  We eventually settled on using DHCP Helper
addresses and a couple central dhcp servers.  Haven't really deployed much
IPv6 yet, but our thinking at the time was that this would also make that
easier.

We break everything down to a /24, so for sites that need more than one, we
configure a secondary ip on the interface and add another /24 to the DHCP
server.

We rate limit through profiles on the DSLAM itself instead of on the
network gear.