[c-nsp] Broadband Aggregation/Termination

Andrew Gambell agambell at staff.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 19 13:04:03 EDT 2017

Hi Cassidy,

Having run PPPoE and DHCP based ISG session on ASR1K (and other platforms) I would highly recommend sticking with PPPoE.

Session maintenance/timeout is a pain in the arse with DHCP with the only real option to rely on the DHCP lease, if you don’t use a low lease time this makes router maintenance or moving subscribers between devices a long outage for customers while waiting for CPE to request a new lease. Whereas with PPPoE we have keep alives at typically 30-60 seconds which means session tear down and come back quickly.

ISG IPv6 only allows IPv6 unclassified IP or PPP based IPv6 sessions, problem with unclassified IP is how do you reconcile that back to a subscriber account?

We also use PPPoE IA (Intermediate Agent) to insert a circuit id (much like option 82 for DHCP) which allows us to authenticate customers based on this circuit Id rather than username/password. (PPPoE IA insertion is supported on ME series switches and some Catalyst)

HTH

--Andrew Gambell