[c-nsp] Broadband Aggregation/Termination

Andrew Gambell agambell at staff.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 19 23:37:39 EDT 2017

Hi Aaron,

Yes tracking usage, law enforcement requirements (who had what IP and what time etc), Also what if you don’t have access to the OLT/DSLAM/Cable Modem? In Australia at least we have a large government run wholesaler (NBNco) that sells in speed tiers which they police to. We have to shape per subscriber to a purchased speed or they hit the wholesale policers etc, which becomes important with how ASR1K ISG handles a dual stack PPP session and applying a shaper to this traffic.

Also failover is much easy with PPPoE, I can stick as many PPPoE servers on a network segment as I like and my users will typically balance over all devices evenly which becomes important for capacity management and dimensioning for failure etc. How do you handle gateway redundancy, do you use GLBP/HSRP?

In my experience scaling PPPoE to millions of subscribers has been way less painful than scaling DHCP based sessions to a few 100 thousand.

Thanks

--Andrew Gambell