[c-nsp] BGP-EVPN vs Traditional Nexus 7k/5k Design

Yham yhameed81 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 11:34:07 EST 2017

Hi Gentlemen,

We are planning to upgrade our data centers which were built on cisco'
traditional design at that time i.e nexus7Ks as core and nexus5Ks and 2Ks
as distribution and access layer (TOR). In this design, 7Ks run layer-3 and
extend layer2 via VPC down to 5Ks. We have the multi-tenant environment
(VDCs and VRFs) and host customer's critical services

For the upgrade, we are exploring BGP-EVPN with VXLAN option? can someone
please give me the pros and cons when compare with traditional 7ks/5ks vpc
design? I read about cisco's bgp-evpn design but not sure yet what is the
real value. are there real benefits or its just marketing fluff to sell
nexus 9Ks and part of SDN buzz.

cisco also offer ACI and we may want to try it in green field deployment
but don't think it mature enough and ready for us to migrate the critical
customer's service over it now.

Regards