[c-nsp] Cisco 3750G backplane throughput

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Fri Dec 15 15:05:24 EST 2017

On 12/15/17 1:04 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 12:52:24PM -0600, Aaron Gould wrote:
>> What in the heck are you doing using a 3750 for uplink to provider!!  LOL
>> (Just kidding, I couldn't resist)
>
> Back in the day, when we were young and trusting, we bought one of the
> first 3750s because we were told it would
>
>   - do much faster routing than our trusted Cat5k RSM
>   - do IPv6 (unlike the RSM)
>
> well, it turned out that the only thing the 3750 *did* was "be fast" -
> but, no SVI counters, no netflow, and no IPv6 either.
>
> When IPv6 finally came, years later, all we used that box for was
> "expensive layer 2 switch"...
>
> But yeah, if you only look at the marketing material, a 3750 really
> looks good.
>
> gert

Someone forwarded me a nice and technical PDF on the subject, in case
anyone's interested.

http://monsterdark.com/wp-content/uploads/Troubleshooting-Cisco-Catalyst-2960-3560-and-3750-Series-Switches.pdf

... and no offense taken, Aaron. :) I do know a bit of the back-history,
and trust me: it wasn't this bad 4-5 years ago. Now? Well, ...