[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 31 03:46:57 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 08:02:49PM -0400, Phil Bedard wrote:
> None of the folks in the target market for the NCS run EIGRP, at least not
> in their SP networks.  Most are asking for less features in software, not
> more.

I can see that argument for IOS and IOS XE, but for something that is
supposed to be fully modular like IOS XR, having another control plane
feature in a separate process (which you do not run when you do not
want it = no impact) should be save enough.

Note the emphasis on "control plane" - no tricky hardware programming
interaction, just central CPU handling specific protocol packets.

I can also see the wish to avoid spending development resources on a
"new protocol that nobody uses", but since the feature is already there
on XR on CRS-1 and ASR9k, if that is a serious argument, it opens up
lots of question marks on internal development processes...

(OTOH, EIGRP seems to be there, as an optional bundle, as has been
answered already - so it's just the documentation of "supported features"
on the platform web site which is/was misleading)

> ISSU is also something the platform is not meant to support as it???s
> incredibly complex and prone to breaking things.

I can see that.

> Like I said, first out it was targeted for large service provider
> and web companies. There are other things that come to the box first
> those providers are looking for like more powerful RPs, YANG models,
> streaming telemetry, no transceiver lock-in, etc.  It runs XR so
> the platform supports SP features including edge PE and core type
> functionality from small to large boxes.  The last SP I worked at
> we replaced edge 9Ks with the NCS since we didn???t need all the
> functionality of the 9K in those locations. There is still development
> left and it will never support all the functionality of XR on the
> 9K, but it???s getting there.  The platform isn???t going anywhere.

Now that's good news :-)  (though "the platform" could be NCS-5001
or NCS-5501 here, which are different enough that it's not clear if
this holds for both platforms...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de