[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:02:49 EDT 2017

None of the folks in the target market for the NCS run EIGRP, at least not in their SP networks.  Most are asking for less features in software, not more. ISSU is also something the platform is not meant to support as it’s incredibly complex and prone to breaking things.  Like I said, first out it was targeted for large service provider and web companies. There are other things that come to the box first those providers are looking for like more powerful RPs, YANG models, streaming telemetry, no transceiver lock-in, etc.  It runs XR so the platform supports SP features including edge PE and core type functionality from small to large boxes.  The last SP I worked at we replaced edge 9Ks with the NCS since we didn’t need all the functionality of the 9K in those locations. There is still development left and it will never support all the functionality of XR on the 9K, but it’s getting there.  The platform isn’t going anywhere.

Phil