[c-nsp] Load balancing on portchan (4500X->ASR1006)

Adam Baxter adam1984 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:51:17 EDT 2017

I ran into a similar problem lately with a 4500X VSS Setup.
Multichassis Etherchannel will not send traffic over the VSL Link and
out of the Secondary Switch. It will only send it out of the Primary
Switch.

from: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html

At the VSS, an MEC is an EtherChannel with additional capability: the
VSS balances the load across ports in each switch independently. For
example, if traffic enters the VSS active switch, the VSS selects an
MEC link from the VSS active switch. This MEC capability ensures that
data traffic does not unnecessarily traverse the VSL.