[c-nsp] cisco and juniper - virtualization (sdr, psdn, lsys)

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed Mar 1 13:40:30 EST 2017

I'm learning that PSD/RSD is very specific to only a certain type of
hardware... T series / JCS...

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/Difference-between-logical-router-and-
virtual-router/m-p/18702

Finally, there is a third form of system virtualization called the Hardware
Logical Router, or "Protected System Domain".  This is something that is
only supported on the T series currently, and requires an external control
plane chassis called the JCS, or "Juniper Control System".  This allows for
both data-plane and control-plane separation between logical routers, and
also dedicates a separate routing-engine (CPU complex, route-processor) for
each protected system domain (PSD).  One of the biggest advantages of a PSD
is that each PSD has its own scaling numbers, and is also a descrete
maintenance domain.  For instance, you can upgrade the version of JUNOS in
one PSD, while the other PSDs remain unaffected (this includes updating the
firmware on the associated linecards and PICs).

So I'm thinking that juniper logical system is comparable to cisco sdr.
(I'm learning and labbing with juniper lsys and it's very cool, but I
haven't ever touched cisco sdr, and probably won't any time soon as I
understand it's only capable on gsr or crs.... so I won't be touching one of
those anytime soon)

On that topic, does anyone know if Cisco SDR is supported on any versions of
XR or ASR9000/ASR9900 or NCS5x00 ?  Or is SDR only supported on GSR and CRS
?

- Aaron