[c-nsp] ASR9k QoS Scale/Usage Query

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Thu Mar 16 08:45:23 EDT 2017

Hi Steinar,

Thanks for that - I believe we are ok on the policers and queues front (no BNG but many multi-card bundles, and I'm aware of the whole replication to all NPs involved in the bundle element) - my main concern was the size and quantity of the ACLs we are using. On other platforms this would have consumed a lot of TCAM (all different ACLs, unique address ranges etc.).

Some policies have 300+ classes and each ACL has between 1 and 15 entries in it. I appreciate there is a limit on the number of classes (1024) but I cannot see anything which suggests how large the ACLs can be or how much space is being consumed by the ones we are using.

So whilst we are within the 'class' limit of 1024, I'm concerned how much resource is being used by the sheer quantity and size of ACLs being used by the 300+ class-maps and can find no way to quantify this usage level. There must be a limit and I need to know if we are 1% or 80% of the way there.

Best wishes,

Robert Williams
Custodian Data Centre
Email: Robert at CustodianDC.com
http://www.CustodianDC.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rimestad, Steinar [mailto:Steinar.Rimestad at altibox.no]
Sent: 16 March 2017 12:30
To: Robert Williams <Robert at CustodianDC.com>
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ASR9k QoS Scale/Usage Query

Hi Robert.

The ASR9k Typoon –TR cards have 8 queues per port (chunk) on the NP, 32k policers per NP.
-SE cards have 192K egress and 64K ingress (256K total) queues per NP and a 64K queue limit per chunk, 256K policers per NP.

Bear in mind if you are using BNG with queues/shapers then each subscriber will utilize 8 queues, counted under the QoSHAL output as L3(8Q) under ”Entities”. If you are using bundles then the QoS will be replicated on every member of the bundle across all linecards as well.

/ Steinar

On 14/03/17 12:59, "cisco-nsp on behalf of Robert Williams" <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of Robert at CustodianDC.com> wrote:

    Hi Rajendra,

    > In my case, below output is giving me the number of policers utilised:
    > Please confirm if that is true.

    Yes that’s correct, low numbers on my side were due to that being a lab chassis, I'm seeing hundreds (although not thousands like yours) on some of our production chassis.

    I guess what I’m really looking for is a means to correlate those figures to actual ‘limits’ in the hardware itself.

    Best wishes & thanks,