[c-nsp] ASR1002 -- interface stops passing IPv4 traffic?

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Fri May 19 00:43:55 EDT 2017

I've never found an IOS device I couldn't tame with the help of Usenet
and then google.  However, I'm new to the ASR1000 and IOS-XE, and I'm
running into something I've never seen before.

I've got GigE ports that will pass traffic, and then suddenly stop.
The interface still shows up/up, but you can't even ping the local
interface from the router itself.

We've can restore traffic by moving the config to another port, but the
"dead" port stays dead.  We've tried shut/no shut, new SFPs, and new
configs -- but the port still won't work.

Interestingly, the port *DOES* work with IPv6 -- but not IPv4.  This
router doesn't use IPv6, but when I put an address on the interface, it
is pingable.

If you apply an IPv4 /24 to the dead interface, the routing table shows
the /24 as a "connected" network, and shows a "local" /32 for the
address in use -- but is not pingable.

The only thing we've found in common between the ports is that they
were connected to eBGP peers.  We've had three events, on ports
connected to two different providers.

My next step is to get to the colo and move one of the "dead" ports to
a spanned port switch and start sniffing the line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Hardware in use includes:
   ASR1000-ESP10
   ASR1002-RP1
   SPA-8X1GE-V2

Problem has occurred in both built-in and SPA-8X1GE-V2 ports, with
multi-mode, and GE-T transceivers.