[c-nsp] ASR1002 -- interface stops passing IPv4 traffic?

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Fri May 19 03:32:19 EDT 2017

Hi John,

Unfortunately we have seen several examples of this on the ASR9k platform with partial NP microcode lockups. Almost every case relates to us using more than 2 or 3 'features' per physical interface (like Sampled Netflow + Mirror First 64 bytes + Sub Interfaces + CBQoS). These may not apply to you, but after countless TAC cases and following various leads I can confirm there are many different new and exciting ways to break it with each IOS release. We also had examples of breakage in only IPv4 or only IPv6, or only sub-interfaces... and so on.

In all cases, the rest of the platform (forwarding, routing and in some cases even hardware BFD) continued to believe the port was up/up. In fact, in several cases even the port mirroring itself continued to work - but none of the traffic on the mirror was actually being forwarded. All of our examples were repeatable with the correct combination of features. For other readers, all of these issues were in the 5.3.3 train and at the very beginning of the 5.3.4 train (mostly fixed in 5.3.4 SMUs).

So, purely on experience with the 9k platform (XR obviously), this sounds like you are hitting a bug to me. TAC may be your best option here, or start stripping out features until it stops doing it, then add them back in the same order you removed them (which is what we did, as TAC was taking too long).

Not a massive amount of help, but thought I'd share!

Cheers,

Robert Williams
Custodian Data Centre
Email: Robert at CustodianDC.com