[c-nsp] cisco ip nat question

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Nov 9 18:50:01 EST 2017

Hi,

     I have a bunch of dumb devices that don't know how to deal with a
default gateway. They all live in a subnet 172.16.144.0/20.

     A router lives here @ 172.16.144.1, and my device management
station lives on another network, say 10.0.1.0/24.

     What I think I want, is for packets going from my management
station to the dumb devices to be source ip natted so that they appear
to come from the router itself 172.16.144.1, so that any devices on the
172.16.144.0/20 network that can't understand default gateway, can at
least respond since the source address they will see will be the router
itself and within their same subnet.

     How would this be accomplished? Is it as simple as putting 'ip nat
inside' on the interface facing the dumb devices? Or is there more to it?

Mike-