[c-nsp] Cisco ME3600X IOS 15.5.3S7 and pseudowires

David Wilkinson cisco-nsp at noroutetohost.net
Tue Aug 7 06:11:11 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is special knob or config change needed when
using pseudowires on a Cisco ME3600X when running IOS 15.5.3S7 or
15.6.2-SP4 vs 15.4(3)S9?

I was setting up a couple of EoMPLS circuits on pair of Cisco ME3600Xs
and while the pseudowires would come up and a "show mpls l2transport vc"
would show the sent counter increasing the receive counter at the remote
end was 0.

After some troubleshooting I found that the ME3600X wasn't sending out
any traffic over the pseudowire despite the sent counter increasing and
had same issue with pseudowires setup with L2VPNs so wasn't limited to
just EoMPLS. If the remote end wasn't one of the ME3600s then I could
get one way traffic so the ME3600s are receiving traffic over the
pseudowires correctly.

Upgrading from 15.5.3S7 to 15.6.2-SP4 didn't help, this versions are
both showing as the Cisco recommended releases. I did find that if I
downgraded them to 15.4(3)S9, then the pseudowires would work fine.
Given it works with 15.4(3)S9 I'm guessing there is config changes
between 15.4 and 15.5 which isn't in the release notes or Cisco have
released 2 horribly broken images and incorrectly marked them as
recommend based on software quality, stability and longevity.

Regards

David