[c-nsp] Internet speed

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Aug 12 14:15:46 EDT 2018

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018, ringbit at mail.com wrote:

> It also selects a public server which is outside of your AS thus taking
> into consideration the busy international links which are outside of
> your administration andas a result for a 30Mbps package the measure
> shows 15 for example.

My experience is that speedtest.net works well up to around 500 megabit/s,
after that it starts to get unreliable. This of course means their test
server needs to be not on the other side of the world, but for North
America and Europe this shouldn't be the case.

Without knowing exactly your conditions, I'd say your customers getting 15
megabit/s in Speedtest.net on a 30 megabit/s package actually indicates
that there is a real problem.

1. Require that your customers do the measurement wired (not wifi),
directly connected to your equipment (if you provide one).

2. If speedtest.net isn't nearby you or you have a weird network path to
them that doesn't work well, look into how you can improve it, plus host
your own speedtest server. If speedtest.net testing servers aren't able to
provide 30 megabit/s to your customers, you most likely actually have a
connectivity issue negatively affecting your customers, not only for their
testing.

I frequently test 500-1000 megabit/s subscriptions. If customer gets 200
megabit/s in a wired test, it's typically indicative of a problem. If they
get 500-800, that's usually fine and it's other issues outside of your
control that is affecting this (different operating systems have different
TCP window scaling settings etc).

But getting 15 meg out of 30, I'd say you have a problem you should look
into.