[c-nsp] Internet speed

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Aug 15 04:33:57 EDT 2018

On 15/Aug/18 10:22, Rasto Rickardt wrote:

> Well, it might depend of what customer experience is for their use-case.
>
> If you have residential user with 1Gbit with 4 users behind wifi, i can
> imagine more than 100Mbit/s will not alter their experience. Not way
> less, 4 times 4K youtube video will eat around 80Mbit/s.

Correct - but 100Mbps does not make a Skype call clearer either.

My contention is falling back on "speed and throughput" as the reason
that things don't work, all the time.

It is more important that both customers and their providers work on
what the actual issue is, as opposed to lumping every problem into, "I
didn't receive my e-mail yet, so throughput is bad".

> But if you have power soho/enterprise customer which is using the line
> for offsite backups or file synchronization and is well aware of
> limitation of underlying protocols and is able to use multiple
> sessions(lanes) it might be a bit different here.

And this is fine because power user knows what he needs to do to fully
use up his entire link. Frees the NOC long enough to attend to a real
problem.

> >From this point of view is speedtest.net providing best available
> service. It runs on all of end-devices, can mimic end-user experience,
> and network engineers did not come with anything remotely comparable :).

Which is fine if your average user is on ADSL. With 1Gbps quickly
becoming the norm in much of the world (or with a good portion of the
world still running their primary connectivity on 3G/4G), I think it's
starting to show its age.

I do agree that there probably isn't a more "user-friendly" alternative
right now, but considering the physical limitations of handheld devices,
the quality of web browsers, how often we have less RAM in our computers
than we actually need, how bloated apps have become, e.t.c., are we in
any real danger of blowing up a 10Gbps link on any device that it is
necessary to test it?

Mark.